Spring and summer in East Texas to spend time outdoors.
Poison Ivy is springing up everywhere.
Knowing how to recognize the plant can help you avoid it.
Remembering “leaves of three – let it be.”
Ivy X can be used before going outdoors as a pre-contact poison plant barrrier.
If you know you have been exposed consider using a after exposure wash like Zanfel Poison Ivy, Oak & Sumac Wash or tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy and Oak Scrub.
A less expensive option is washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid after spending time outdoors.
After contact a rash can develop after 12 to 48 hours and last several weeks.
Treat at home with topical hydrocortisone and antihistamines by mouth.
It’s time to visit your Pediatrician when:
- the rash involves the face or private area
- fever over 100.4 develops
- swelling around face or neck, or difficulty breathing
- pain, redness, and swelling suggest infection
Melanie Wick, MD